Some people always find it difficult to add page numbers in a Word document. Most institutions require Word documents to have page numbers for purposes of easier reference or simply for matters of professionalism. Similarly, a manuscript submitted in Word with numbered pages indicates that the author is competent. These in addition to other numerous reasons are the contributing factors to the need to know how to add page numbers to a Word document.
Where are Page Numbers located in Word 2016?
In a Word document, the page numbers can be located on either the footer or the header. The header and footer are also used to contain other information, images, and even text that are part of the document. When page numbers are inserted on the header or footer of the document, they may be throughout the documents, start over in every section, or in all pages except the first page or the cover page.
How to Add page numbers in Word 2016
There are two ways of adding page numbers to a Word document. You can enable the page numbers in the Insert tab at the top menu. This will ensure that Word automatically insert page numbers to your document as you move from one page to another. Similarly, you can manually add page numbers to your document after you finish typing.
The following steps will guide you on how to manually add page numbers to your Word document.
- Open the Word document that you want to add page numbers to.
- Go to the top menu and select the Insert tab.
- This opens several other tabs. Choose Page Number.
- Selecting the Page Number option will display several options indicating the position of the page numbers on your Word document. From the drop-down menu, choose to put your page numbers either at the top or at bottom of each page.
- Next, scroll down through the different styles and choose the style that you prefer.
- This above steps will add page numbers to all the pages in your document. How about if you do not want the first page or the cover page of your document to be numbered?
- Go to the Design tab, and then choose Different First Page.
- Thereafter, select the Page Number and subsequently Format Page Numbers.
- A circle will appear close to the Start At. From the drop-down function under the Page numbering, set the number to zero.
- Click OK.
- Finally, to finish the editing that will add page numbers to your Word document, close the Header and Footer tab.
After adding page numbers in your Word document, you may also change their appearance to suit your preference. You can change the color, font size, font family, and or the style of the page numbers. All you need to do is go to the header or footer area and select the page number, then choose either the font size, font family, color, or the style that you need.
Remember to download WPS Office for better use